Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Feeling Defeated

"And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes ahead
With the grace of a woman
Not the grief of a child"

The quote above is from one of my very favorite poems "After A While" by Veronica A. Shoffstall.

I have had a tough past couple of days at work. And by tough I basically mean I have made two mistakes and found out I made a mistake back in March that is just now biting me in the ass. The office I work in is great and I get a ton of guidance from my boss and our paralegal but sometimes I still just do things wrong out of lack of experience. I am not talking bar complaints or malpractice here but nonetheless it is hard to accept when you have messed things up.

So, I am doing everything I can to keep my head up and my eyes open and accept that I have messed up with grace as opposed to the hysterics and drama that would have consumed me in my younger days. For a perfectionist with a type-A personality this is very difficult to do but I am doing the best I can.

My husband also gave me some good advice yesterday. He said, "Everyone makes mistakes. Just do your best to recover from it well." I think that it is very important to remember that everyone does make mistakes and that what is most important is how you react and what you do in the aftermath.

Question - how do you deal with the stress of making mistakes? Whether the mistake be in your love live, work life, family life, school life, food related, etc.

Okay, I just had to vent some and put my mistakes out there for the world to see.

Love from,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Yikes that is tough. I'm sorry. I usually beat myself up about it. Sorry, I know that isn't remotely helpful. Gotta love being totally Type A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I am trying not to beat myself up about it - especially considering the mistakes aren't that big of a deal - I just hate this feeling!

    ReplyDelete