Hello blog world!!! I started a blog last week called Esquire Eats Well and I got fed up with it and deleted it. I quickly realized that a blog devoted to my attempts at healthy eating and my workouts was not for me. That is not to put down the healthy eating and workout blogs out there - I love them and read many of them religiously and gain tons of insight, knowledge, inspiration and motivation from them - it just isn't for me. Mainly because I don't eat all that healthy. I try to eat healthy but it doesn't always work out for me and I absolutely love great food and good wine and refuse to give any of it up!!
I decided to call this blog "Life is a Balancing Act" because I have recently come to realize that balancing all of the many aspects of my life is very difficult and often times impossible. To give you a glimpse into the many things I am "balancing" at the moment I am going to complete the ubiquitous twenty-seven things about me (I know it is usually twenty-five but I figure I am twenty-seven so my list should be too!).
1. I am a newlywed and am married to my best friend and absolute love of my life. I have been married for 2 years but I still consider that a newlywed!
2. I am an attorney who practices mainly family law and a tiny bit of criminal work.
3. I once thought taking the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) was the hardest thing I had ever done. Then I started law school and thought that was the hardest thing. Then I took the bar exam and thought that was the hardest thing. Then I started practicing law and I think it is the hardest thing. I am scared to find out what is the next hardest thing:)
4. I have gained about ** pounds since I got married and desperately want to get the extra weight off. This quest oftentimes consumes my thoughts and effects my self worth on a daily basis. I am trying to end all "fat talk" and realize that whether I get the weight off or not doesn't make me a better person and shouldn't make me a happier person. We'll see how that goes. Getting the weight off however will improve my wardrobe tremendously!!
5. I am from Louisville, Kentucky - the absolute best city in the United States!! I don't live there anymore but visit often and so many of my posts and pictures will be Louisville inspired!!!!
6. My husband is also my brother's best friend. My brother introduced us but not in an attempt at setting us up and was quite bothered my our relationship at first. He has since gotten over it and was the best man at our wedding!!
7. I recently broke up with one of my best friends. Yes, you read that right. I broke up with one of my best girlfriends. It was hard and difficult and I miss her but it was the right thing to do.
8. I have recently become even closer to my other best girlfriend and am able to even better recognize all of the wonderful, healthy, inspiring and happy things about our friendship!
9. I have a cat named Cassandra. I named her Cassandra because when I was in college and would get wasted and roam the bars looking for eligible males (this was prior to meeting my hubby) I would tell guys my name was Cassandra. That's very random but that his how she got her name. She weighs close to 14 pounds and is an even bigger bitch than I am. She is also very beautiful and I am sure I will post pictures of her often:)
10. I live three hours away from my whole entire family and it is difficult on a daily basis.
11. I practice family law, which means I deal with people going through some of the worst times of their life on a daily basis. It is very draining and makes me thankful for my husband on a daily basis.
12. I love, love, love, love, love wine!! I drink mostly white but am trying to expand my palette and move on to reds!
13. I am the aunt to a beautiful niece and adorable nephew. Seriously, you would (and probably will be) jealous when you see how cute they are!!
14. I have terrible allergies and sneeze constantly.
15. I love to cook and I love to entertain. We have an amazing basement for entertaining and I wish we did it more!
16. I try to be a runner and I constantly fail at it but I don't give up so maybe I am not failing after all.
17. I am 5'1" and try to surround myself with other shorties!
18. I want a German Shepherd puppy really, really, really bad.
19. My husband and I are DINKs - Dual Income No Kids - and currently we love it.
20. I think I want kids but I have no idea who I will ever have time for my career and babies - and that terrifies me. My husband doesn't seem to understand that fear and that often upsets me.
21. I love the Twilight books and have zero embarrassment about it. I love Harry Potter even more. It is a serious toss up whether I would rather be a witch or a vampire.
22. I like to challenge people to water chugging contests but I have never one.
23. French fries are my favorite food in the whole world. My second is pizza. See number 4 above.
24. People often mistake me for a teenager. People always tell me I should be flattered and that I will appreciate it when I am old but right now it is annoying. A couple of weeks ago I started to walk into a courtroom and was told by a deputy that I couldn't enter the courtroom without my attorney. I told him I was the attorney and he didn't believe me. My client (a 60 year old man) assured him that I was his attorney and the deputy then let us enter. Talk about embarrassing.
25. I sleep walk and talk in my sleep when I am stressed. My parents put a bell on my door throughout my childhood so they would be alerted when I was moving around because they were afraid I was going to fall down the stairs.
26. I have a serious issue with the comma and often commit the egregious error of the "comma splice." I am sure you will notice it in my writing. My legal writing professor in college made me cry because of commas. I am still not over it.
27. My study group in college was called the "ho-bags" and this is a name we came up with ourselves. We even had jackets made. People still refer to us as the "ho bags" sometimes. I assume we will never live it down and I think I am okay with that.
Okay y'all that's all I have for today. I have a fairly uneventful weekend ahead of me but I am sure I will come up with something delightfully witty to post about!